Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Reveal! Demolding and Clean Up!

He served his purpose. Took one for the team

James Joseph Brown listening Fun!
Here we can finally see what we've done wrong. That's the scariest thing about making molds. You don't know how well you did until the point where you remove the sculpt.

This was one of the most terrifying part of my process. I walked up to my mold, excited and anxious. I tore down the foamcore walls (of oppression.) Removes the glue that was used to seal up the walls against the first half of the mold. Then I grabbed both sides and pulled... and they didn't come apart. I was terrified and ready to jump out a window. I did not put enough vaseline on, and I put a good amount on, I thought.
Luckily my friend Blake was there to calm me. He got out a hammer and flathead screwdriver. I chiseled into the area of the mold with the largest distance from the sculpt. As I did Blake noticed that the rest of it was coming apart and we carefully pulled it apart!
The two sides of the mold were completely fine, the keys had broken at a few places, but most of it was preserved, which is fine. The sculpt is in one half and the other half looks really good. I'm looking for signs of air bubbles, and there are couple but they're small and easily fixed.
Now I have to get the sculpt out, which completely destroyed the sculpt. It was an honorable and valiant sculpt, I'm proud of its accomplishments; it's served its purpose. With the sculpt out I have noticed clay left in it, especially around the hands and most of the feet have stayed. This all needs to be cleaned out. Carefully, with my trusty tool, the toothpick, I got all of the clay out. I used a toothpick because it is made of wood, which is less likely to scratch and damage the mold.
Once all the clay is removed you need to make your armature, which I will explain in the next post. It's a process.

What I've learned: USE PLENTY OF VASELINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment